ION Deploy Failing on Solo

While deploying a Pedestal-ion-Sample

Error code

ScriptTimedOut

Script name

scripts/deploy-validate

Script at specified location: scripts/deploy-validate failed to complete in 300 seconds

The message from CodeDeploy>>Deployments:

“The overall deployment failed because too many individual instances failed deployment, too few healthy instances are available for deployment, or some instances in your deployment group are experiencing problems.”

scripts/deploy-validate

Script at specified location: scripts/deploy-validate failed to complete in 300 seconds [View more.]

Update:

I deleted the Solo instance as per the documentation, and re-created it this morning: Still the Deploy is failing…

Update:

Created a new Solo instance at a different region - us-east-1, this time. Downloaded the pedestal-ions-sample…The Deployment is still failing…

Update:

Failed again today!!

Planning to create a new AWS account, and try again. Will update the result here…

Update:

Code Deploy failed again with the new AWS account. The errorcode is the same.

“The overall deployment failed because too many individual instances failed deployment, too few healthy instances are available for deployment, or some instances in your deployment group are experiencing problems.”

“Error code - ScriptTimedOut
Script name - scripts/deploy-validate
Message - Script at specified location: scripts/deploy-validate failed to complete in 300 seconds”

Created a AWS support ticket too.

Any help appreciated!

Hi, not sure if I can offer you a solution, but I had the same experience the other day and maybe it helps.

I was trying trying to set up lacinia on Datomic Solo, together with hodur and everything that goes with it. Everything was working fine and then after some minor code changes, deploys kept failing. In the end, it was a quirk with enums that threw an exception internally but triggered the timeout in the end and was registered as the error you stated above (“The overall deployment failed because too…”).

To sum it all up - do you have an earlier revision you can try to deploy and see if it succeeds? My guess is that some other part of the code is failing and it ends up being caught as a timeout

1 Like

Thank you for your response…

Finally I resolved it!! I did two things:

(This time I created a new AWS account, and used the Datomic Production as I want to use the HTTP direct later)

1. Based on your response, I created a bare minimum, with just datomic/ion-config.edn, deps.edn & a Hello world fn!!
  2. Deleted all my previous EC2 Key pairs, and created a new one and created a new stack. Copied the pem file to the .ssh directory & chmod 400’ed on it.

All worked as expected! (though wasted/spent a ton of time, finally happy about the outcome:-))

Thanks again!!

Generally, Ion deployment failures will result in errors or exceptions in your Datomic system’s log group.

See Where to look in AWS when deploy (not push) fails? and the docs at https://docs.datomic.com/cloud/operation/monitoring.html#searching-cloudwatch-logs for more instructions about finding your system logs.

-Marshall

Thank you for the information!
-H

I can confirm that you will get a deploy-status of failed if there is an issue with the application itself. I didn’t track down the error message pertaining to it, but was able to fix it and redeploy and get a success.