Troubleshooting :deploy-status "FAILED", :code-deploy-status "SUCCEEDED"

I am trying to deploy the ion-starter project. This is the furthest I’ve gotten:

{:deploy-status "FAILED", :code-deploy-status "SUCCEEDED"}

Debugging and finding meaningful error messages in AWS has been somewhat demoralizing.

Searching CloudWatch for “Alert - Alert” reveals no events.

I did not modify the ion-starter codebase except for configuring the :endpoint and :app-name.

(I was able to complete the steps in “Develop at the REPL” [0]. I assume this means I configured my connection correctly.)

[0]: https://docs.datomic.com/cloud/ions/ions-tutorial.html#repl

My guess is that I am doing something wrong with deps.edn or maybe API Gateway because these are the parts of Clojure and AWS, respectively, I understand least.

Note: I have probably created seven different AWS accounts to start “fresh”. I have tried creating stacks in every possible way: Master Stack using Solo, Master Stack using Production, Master Stack using Query Group, Split Stack using the 939-9127 templates [1].

[1]: https://docs.datomic.com/cloud/operation/new-system.html

User deps.edn:

{:aliases
  {:ion-dev
    {:deps {com.datomic/ion-dev {:mvn/version "1.0.298"}}
    :main-opts ["-m" "datomic.ion.dev"]}}
 :mvn/repos {"datomic-cloud" {:url "s3://datomic-releases-1fc2183a/maven/releases"}}}

Project deps.edn:

{:paths ["src" "resources"]
 :deps {com.cognitect/anomalies {:mvn/version "0.1.12"}
        com.datomic/client-cloud {:mvn/version "1.0.119"}
        com.datomic/ion {:mvn/version "1.0.58"}
        org.clojure/clojure {:mvn/version "1.10.1"}
        org.clojure/data.json {:mvn/version "0.2.6"}}
 :mvn/repos {"datomic-cloud" {:url "s3://datomic-releases-1fc2183a/maven/releases"}}}

Could someone chime in and help me understand why this post didn’t receive a response so I can form better questions in the future?

@yesyes frankly I didn’t see the thread or I would have jumped in. Sorry about that! Can you share your ion-config.edn? As a troubleshooting step it is worthwhile to try deploying an empty ion (meaning removing all the code from your ion-config.edn and re-deploying). Alternatively you can test with just the ion-starter project? The status you are showing indicates to me that the code deploy succeeded and you should be able to confirm that in the code deploy console, but the deploy failed to deploy to your target stack. Can you share your exact output from running push and deploy along with the command you ran?

In the code deploy console can you find your deployment and confirm that it deployed to the instance you are targeting with your system?

When you drill into a deploy you can select “view events” and see which instance it deployed to. Here is a successful set of events from a recent deploy.

1 Like

Adding here that we added an example of an empty ion config deploy: Ions Tutorial | Datomic

1 Like