Error on integration between Datomic Analytics and Power BI

I tried to connect in PowerBI using the analytics support and I did the following steps:

• Downloaded Simba Presto Driver for PowerBI
  • Installed their License
  • Started to add a new data source to PowerBI over ODBC
  • Wrote down a connection string to my Presto setup

And then things started to get partially wrong.
The following picture is the connection window in PowerBI.

When I write the optional query to make a simple select * from table, everything is fine. The data source is available and I can continue to work on that. However, if I leave this space blank which is good option because I would be prompt with all the available tables in the database and then I choose which ones I wanted to load. But, I got the following error message:

I am not a PowerBI heavy user and could not find what is the query that they are issuing against Presto at this time. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bump.

We are experiencing a similar issue, but with AWS QuickSight.

After successfully connecting to the Presto server, QuickSight prompts the user to select a Schema (Datomic database):

Upon selecting a Schema, an error occurs:

With the error message Query failed: Expected string for :db-name:

Update: AWS QuickSight only supports Presto with LDAP integration which is not available/configurable in Datomic Analytics.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/quicksight/latest/user/create-a-data-source-presto.html

Given Datomic Cloud’s deep integration with AWS, I’m sure that some customers would like to keep their BI in the same ecosystem. I hope this becomes an option in the future.

:heavy_plus_sign: :one:

Stupid question on QuickSight: Since it is running in AWS, should connecting to it via QuickSight VPC work?

According to the AWS documentation:

If your Presto server allows unauthenticated access, AWS requires that you connect to it securely by using a private VPC connection.

I tried it out by

• creating a QuickSight VPC using the bastion VPC subnet
  • allow inbound TCP traffic on port 8989 from the subnet
  • setup the QuickSight Presto data source server to the bastion instance

Unfortunately, I could not connect. Not sure if its PEBKAC issue or still due to QuickSight’s restrictions @joshkh pointed out.

Update. I’ve been able to get QuickSight setup as follows:

• Create a presto-server running on an EC2 box in a VPC
  • Create a VPC connector to that VPC within QuickSight’s admin panel
  • When creating the Data Source in QuickSight, use that VPC connector. Don’t support a password nor SSL (maybe those can be better configured later?)