Jackson-core needs an update

Hi. Cloud currently is using jackson-core:2.10.1 which is a couple yrs old Not having more recent ones is causing some issues for us as we’re stuck at compatible versions of some of our other libs that use it as well.

2 Likes

I second this request!
Please, please, please, look into upgrading jackson-core (and maybe clojure.data.jsontoo)!

Just last week, we started using metosin/reitit-middleware {:mvn/version "0.5.13"}, which requires metosin/muuntaja {:mvn/version "0.6.8"}, which in turn pulls in metosin/jsonista {:mvn/version "0.3.1"} (which is not even the latest version) and that conflicts with the com.fasterxml.jackson.core/jackson-core #:mvn{:version "2.10.1"} transitive dependency of com.datomic/ion {:mvn/version "0.9.50"}

Here is a deps.edn to reproduce our issue:

{:paths
 ["src" "rsc"]

:mvn/repos
 {"datomic-cloud" {:url "s3://datomic-releases-1fc2183a/maven/releases"}}

:deps
 {org.clojure/clojure                     {:mvn/version "1.10.1"}
  com.datomic/ion                         {:mvn/version "0.9.50"}
  metosin/reitit-middleware               {:mvn/version "0.5.13"}
  com.fasterxml.jackson.core/jackson-core #:mvn{:version "2.10.1"}}
}

Running

clojure -M -e "(require 'reitit.ring.middleware.muuntaja 'datomic.ion :verbose)"

results in:

(clojure.core/in-ns 'muuntaja.core)
(clojure.core/alias 'core 'muuntaja.format.core)
(clojure.core/load "/muuntaja/format/json")
(clojure.core/load "/jsonista/core")
Execution error (ClassNotFoundException) at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader/loadClass (BuiltinClassLoader.java:581).
com.fasterxml.jackson.core.util.JacksonFeature

If I use metosin/jsonista {:mvn/version "0.2.5"}, which is from 2019-09-04, then I can at least load the libraries, but I will miss tons of features and bugfixes obviously.

We can argue that muuntaja shouldn’t come with default transit and json support, so I can plug in my choice of JSON library, which would be org.clojure/data.json, but even that is pull back to an ancient version (0.2.6 from 2015-03-06) by the latest Datomic Cloud version.

Thank you for the report! We’re looking into upgrading. I will circle back here when we have a release.

3 Likes