Help deploying ION example

Hey there. I’m trying to stand up a pedestal service on IONS.
I have been following: GitHub - pedestal/pedestal-ions-sample: A sample app demonstrating the usage of pedestal.ions
I have set my datomic_app_info_map as such:

echo $DATOMIC_APP_INFO_MAP
{:app-name "ion-pet" :deployment-group "ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M"} <-- IS THIS CORRECT?

However, when trying to deploy, as such:

> ```clojure -Adev -m datomic.ion.dev '{:op :deploy, :group "ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M", :uname "pet-service-sample"}'  <-- NOTE: is this group correct?
> 
> {:execution-arn
>  arn:aws:states:us-east-2:272695641059:execution:datomic-ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M:ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M-pet-service-sample-1543987389875,
>  :status-command
>  "clojure -Adev -m datomic.ion.dev '{:op :deploy-status, :execution-arn arn:aws:states:us-east-2:272695641059:execution:datomic-ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M:ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M-pet-service-sample-1543987389875}'",
>  :doc
>  "To check the status of your deployment, issue the :status-command."}```

I get the following:
>
> clojure -Adev -m datomic.ion.dev '{:op :deploy-status, :execution-arn arn:aws:states:us-east-2:272695641059:execution:datomic-ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M:ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M-pet-service-sample-1543987389875}' > > {:deploy-status "FAILED", :code-deploy-status "FAILED"}

Looking at my cloudwatch logs I see the following:

```
2018-12-05T05:23:20.008Z    059ddc53-7801-4f4c-b688-60918314b781    DeploymentGroupDoesNotExistException: No Deployment Group found for name: ion-pet-Compute-1Q6752A2P837M
at Request.extractError (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/protocol/json.js:48:27)
at Request.callListeners (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:105:20)
at Request.emit (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:77:10)
at Request.emit (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:683:14)
at Request.transition (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:22:10)
at AcceptorStateMachine.runTo (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:14:12)
at /var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/state_machine.js:26:10
at Request.<anonymous> (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:38:9)
at Request.<anonymous> (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/request.js:685:12)
at Request.callListeners (/var/runtime/node_modules/aws-sdk/lib/sequential_executor.js:115:18)```

SO it’s obvious it can’t find the deployment group but I cannot see where the documentation tells me what this is. The closest I can find is :group

So funnily enough, I can find the group when doing this from my mac… The deployment still fails but doesn’t give any useful error messages. The only errors found are from the step functions:

{
  "error": "$.codeDeploy.deployment.errorInformation",
  "cause": "Code Deploy Deployment Failed"
}

I am an adminstrator on this account and have added the datomic role to my user just incase.

I have deployed the ions tutorial without any issues

KVLT, I wanted to close the loop on the initial issue and confirm that it was failing to find the the deployment group as the ion-config :app-name was not committed. We discussed this in slack, but wanted to make sure any future users with that initial problem found this answer.

In regards to the error you are now seeing were you able to review the log group for exceptions. We have an example of navigating the log group for an exception in our docs here: https://docs.datomic.com/cloud/troubleshooting.html#http-500

Seeing the full exception in the log may point to the issue in your app.

Hi Jaret,

There are several issues.

1. The push doesn’t return a group and doesn’t accept any value that I pass in. This is happening on my desktop and cannot figure out why as I have the same environment variables exported.
  2. On my mac, which does get the group back from the push command. I still cannot deploy. I get the error I pasted above:

{
“error”: “$.codeDeploy.deployment.errorInformation”,
“cause”: “Code Deploy Deployment Failed”
}

I have searched cloudwatch and so 0 exceptions in the log. The above error is from the the step function that failed the deploy and there are 0 other errors or exceptions that I can find

Turns out to fix this I had to create a new AWS account.

This allowed the group to populate reliably and fixed any deployment issues I had.

I’m glad you got this sorted and I’m sorry you had such a hard time figuring it out.
It sounds like this may have been an account-level configuration or settings issue that we haven’t encountered previously. Would it be possible to file a ticket with AWS support to determine the underlying cause so we can add it to the troubleshooting documentation?

I can say with certainty, other than the account being around 7 years old it was only ever used once to deploy one ec2 instance (I did make sure to deploy ions to a region that was a VPC only region). I’m not sure what configuration issue it would have been other than a default. Unfortunately, I have deleted the account. So I am probably unable to file a ticket.