Caching jars downloaded during push/deply

where does Ion push/deploy put the jars it downloads?

I want to cache these to speed up my CI deploys.

I already have deps.edn jars caching so it must be somewhere else

I am not sure this will speed up your CI and would be happy to discuss that separately, but are you looking for the ion code bucket?

s3://$(ion-code-bucket)/datomic/libs

Thanks,
Jaret

Just to further clarify, could you explain in general how your CI works and where you see the slowness. For instance, are you creating a new system for every CI run? Or do you deploy and CI to the same cluster that is already running?

Thanks,
Jaret

I use Bitbucket pipelines with a step that deploys an update to a running system.

The deploy step takes 5 mins with approx 1.5 min for the deploy polling loop. The rest is “Downloading” jars. Here’s one of the lines from the log (in the push step)…

Downloading: vvvvalvalval/datofu/0.1.0/datofu-0.1.0.pom from https://repo.clojars.org/

It looks like it’s downloading to local filesystem, hence the question.

Bitbucket supports caching of downloaded artifacts but, if I grok your response, the “Downloading” actually means uploading to an S3 bucket. In which case the CI cache won’t help.

The deps don’t change very often so I was hoping to avoid the extra CI delays but it looks like that’s not an option. Unless you have other suggestions?

Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks