Ions push/deployments automation issues

Hi guys,

Trying to automate ions push/deployment using CodeBuild, I get stuck with an S3 error:

{:deploy-status ERROR, :message VPC endpoints do not support cross-region requests (Service: Amazon S3; Status Code: 403; Error Code: AccessDenied)}

To build, I use the clojure:tools-deps Docker image with the clojure -Adev tools/release.clj command that runs the function in this gist I’m using as a base as saw in the Ions `datomic.ion.dev` documentation? post.

When running the Docker container locally on my machine with my AWS credentials it works fine, but not on CodeBuild.

I tried to set up CodeBuild to use my Datomic cluster’s VPC, without luck.
I made sure that CodeBuild has the permissions to access the Datomic code S3 bucket.
Also I’m on the same region for everything (Datomic, CodeBuild…) which is eu-west-1 (Ireland), hence my surprise on the cross-region error.

I also tried doing the same thing from a Jenkins instance we have on EC2 for other projects and got the same issue.

Am I missing something here?

CodeBuild uses a VPC endpoint to access S3. VPC endpoints are region-scoped for bucket access.

Because of this, the ‘instance’ that CodeBuild runs can only download from an S3 bucket in the same region where it is running.

The Datomic Maven repo (which is specified in your deps.edn) that hosts the ion-dev (and other) artifacts is hosted via an S3 bucket in us-east-1.

What this means is that you will need to run CodeBuild in us-east-1 until we are able to provide a cross-region S3 path for access to the Datomic maven repository.
Alternatively, you could host your own internal private Maven repo in your region of choice and specify it as the repository address in your deps.edn file, but then you’d be responsible for keeping it up to date when new versions of packages are released.